Thursday, October 6, 2011

Red State (2011)


I feel like I've been waiting years to write this post...and I have so much to say that I'm terrified I won't say enough, or that I'll write way too much and crash Firefox (again). But since it's all about to pour out of me, I might as well just begin. First, let me just state that the above poster is not the "real" one. I've posted that one before. I used this one because it's much more raw, and for me, exemplifies the best, most frightening scene of the film (and the real message, via the tagline).

Now, I've been a fan of Kevin Smith's work for close to ten years. Despite his many, many, many detractors, I think his films are clever, hilarious, well-written, feature a cast of wonderful, mostly unknown actors and touch on subjects that mean nothing to 90% of the world's population, but a great deal to those of us who feel as if we don't really fit in anywhere. He is an important voice, in Hollywood, for those who rarely one - something which is most evident in the excellent Clerks. He has taught a generation of us to live the way it makes sense for us, despite what anybody else says, and that we can do anything to which we set our minds. 


 The one on the left was Jack's son in Will and Grace. Go figure.


It was with a mix of trepidation and excitement, that I greeted the news that Smith was making a horror movie. His forte is, surely, comedy, and while horror-comedy is possible, it's incredibly difficult to do (see, Fright Night remake). So, I wondered, would this be straight horror? Would it be funny? Would it exist in the View Askew universe? Would Jason Mewes star (sadly, no)? Above all else, I hoped it would be good, I hoped everyone would like it, but most of all, I hoped it would be well-received. In America, it was. In Ireland, it was not. Two of my favourite critics panned it (however, one of whom is incredibly high-minded and likes only upper class, indie fare and films with subtitles, despite whether they're any good or not). Their reactions made me nervous to even think about what Mark Kermode will have to say (I still haven't listened to his podcast from last week), since he is one of my heroes, an excellent movie critic and a horror buff. Some day soon I will face up to his critique. But not just yet.



This man is god


The good news, as far as I'm concerned, is that Red State is great. It works as a horror, as a drama, and as a strange little addition to Smith's other religion-centric film, Dogma. The story concerns a family cult in middle America, known as the Five Points Church, which is led by Pastor Abin Cooper, played with crazy eyes and undeniable charisma by the fantastic Michael Parks (why the fuck does this man not work more!?). Three horny teenage boys are lured into their clutches via an internet sex ad, but when they turn up to cash in, they are greeted by middle-aged, mumsy Melissa Leo, in full wretched hillbilly look. Next thing they know, they're tied up, watching mental sermons and ritual killings. The film then quickly descends into a shootout, between the forces of law and the crazy clan. 

It's worth noting that the film looks and sounds fantastic - possibly the best of any of Smith's films. The camera work is jumpy in places, but in a great way, and the editing is very well done. The colours remain dark and broody throughout, adding to the tense atmosphere. The tone almost changes drastically towards the end, but, unlike the majority of net nerds, I was glad that it didn't, and was pleased with what I saw as the logical closure point. After all, Dogma is fantastical and silly, so there's no real need for Red State to be. 


I would de-flower her

As a horror, Red State works very well, and it is indeed horrifying. The extended scene in the chapel, with Michael Parks delivering a particularly mad, Old Testament-centric sermon, is tense to the point of nausea, due to one of the protagonists being locked in a cage throughout, while a sheet ominously hangs over a giant cross (as seen in the poster above). What happens when the sheet is pulled off doesn't really matter (although it is frightening), it's the thought of what's underneath it that really builds the tension. Several critics felt this scene dragged a little, and that there was too much sermonising involved. I was on the edge of my seat throughout, and while long, Pastor Cooper's sermon only made me more nervous - which is a very good thing.

Although the shootout takes away from the horror element somewhat, turning the film down a different route, John Goodman is great as the leader of the feds, and commands each of his scenes with ease. The action itself is fast-paced, and the deaths quick and consistent. However, since protagonists are dispensed with with such ease, it's difficult to sympathise with anyone, making the viewer somewhat detached from what's happening onscreen. This, coupled with the political conspiracy ending, meant I left the cinema feeling somewhat unsatisfied. The reason, I feel, was the length of the film. At just 88 minutes long, it's slightly rushed. Not enough is shown about the inner, daily workings of the Five Points Church, and I could've used more of a backstory, to elaborate on their actions. A nod to the Phelps family ("No no, not them, we like them" - cue nervous laughter) is a total pussy move on Smith's part, and wholly unnecessary. The subject matter of the film is brave, especially considering the real-life existence of the Phelps family, so I would've respected more if Smith had've just left it up to us to decide whether or not he was referring to them throughout. None of this made the Cooper clan any less sinister, though. 

Michael Parks is the star of Red State, and it's an absolute travesty that he doesn't get more work. Kevin Smith claimed he wrote the part of Abin Cooper specifically for Parks, and wouldn't have done the film without him. That may sound crazy to some, but he makes the story work, so I totally understand it. John Goodman is another gem, as are the three main lads, who do a great job of appearing both naively horny and absolutely terrified. Although I felt the film could've been a good twenty minutes longer, and that more needed to be said about the cult, Red State still kicks a serious amount of ass. If I don't see it again in the cinema soon, I'll be very surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment